VOLUNTEER MUSEUM INTERNSHIP PROGRAMME
Ben Uri operates a distinctive volunteer intern programme. We continue to increase our investment to provide young people with the ambition to build a career in the museum and creative industries, whether from a work or university background, valuable first hand experience in their areas of interest through the programme.
Those selected to join the programme have the opportunity to gain insight into the realities of how museums work across all its facets by engaging with team leaders and fellow interns on a daily basis. The programme traditionally lasts for 4 months on a 3 day a week basis. Should members succeed in securing a career appointment during the term there is no requirement to complete the period as the core objective is successfully satisfied. All staff and intern members meet weekly, led by the Director or a senior manager, to discuss different topics that affect the museum and cultural sector. Team leaders are directly responsible for day to day guidance and we employ an experienced management coach to be fully accessible to each as well as hosting formal monthly career development training sessions. Programme members receive their own training allowance in addition to that provided by the programme. Wherever possible Ben Uri recruits from within the programme and is often able to offer first paid career appointments.
Successful applicants will have already identified the arts and museum arenas as their preferred career choice. They will be practical, analytical, logical, fast learning, self- motivated, well organised, able and engaging communicators.
Specific areas of focus serviced by the programme include: Creative Digital engagement, Digital Marketing, Registrar and Collection management, Research, Library and Archive. The programme operates from the gallery in St John’s Wood and importantly also operates successfully through digital vehicles. Country of residence is not an obstacle in any way.
Applications should be addressed initially to email@example.com with INTERN APPLICATION as the subject line. Please include your resume and state clearly at the top of your application your department of interest and why you think your career can progress better as a member of the programme.
Opportunities:- ALL replies to the contacts given and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For web development:
- A natural appetite in problems-solving and diagnostics
- Practical experience in having developed whole or parts of a website.
- An understanding of backend databases when developing front-end.
- Day to day tech support @ Ben Uri:
- Familiar with Google workspace administration
- Understanding of databases structures
- Strong understanding of domains management, web-hosting, security & Wi-Fi networking.
- Self-starter is a must (investigating mind)
- Experience and ease of 'professional' multi-posts through posting platforms across multi-sites (personal experience on own platforms not relevant to us)
- Understanding and experience in presenting Google and other analytics
- Experience in the analysis of the Analytics generated and defining revisions to accentuate the positives of the analytic results and directions.
- Learning the intricacies of Artlogic.net and uploading content
- Attention to detail for constant updating
- Film making - with special emphasis on maximising accessibility as target age group is the over 70s.
- Art scholarship archive research for reproduction online
- Exploiting Ben Uri’s cultural and digital assets to grow awareness and measurable engagement with Benuri.org & the gallery exhibitions and library
- Developing imaginative themes of online exhibitions from the Collection and assisting with independent artist projects to be screened on Benuri.org
- Commercial / E Commerce
- Supporting the launch of our e-commerce business
- Most effective Video / YouTube / Vimeo / Facebook / + means of dissemination and engagement with older people in care and domestic settings including those living with dementia
Contact David Glasser
Library and Archive
- Day to day management of the art reference library
- Maintaining database
- Identification of titles we should have and sourcing
- Research and identification of artists/books and linkage through benuri.org
- Research and identification of artists / archive and updated on and linkage through benuri.org
- Scanning and uploading to benuri.org
Contact Sarah MacDougall / David Glasser
Research Unit on the Jewish and immigrant contribution to British visual culture since 1900
- Art History degree holders or mature students with art / museum research experience only please.
- This internship revolves around timed and structured research on candidates and write-up - see benuri.org/researchunit/
Contact Sarah MacDougall
Arts and Health Institute
- Research on published papers reflecting accessibility and effective engagement with older people through TV
- Research on existing TV programming designed for Children and Older people
- Developing engagement analysis reporting
- Film content and production for older people including those living with dementia
Contact David Glasser / Charlotte Mintz
Gallery Administration and Operations including
- Museum (UK & International) Developments and opportunities
Contact Charlotte Mintz / Sarah MacDougall
Development - Grants and Gifts
- Researching grant giving institutions and trusts that fund Ben Uri’s specific programming
- Assisting with grant applications
Contact David Glasser / Sarah MacDougall
TRUSTEE / BOARD APPOINTMENTS
Please see the Trustee page for details of the portfolio opportunities and recruitment process to drive forward and deliver Ben Uri's virtual museum and its two core programming divisions of the Research Unit for the study and recording of the Jewish and immigrant contribution to British visual culture since 1900 and the Arts and Health Institute.